- Ground Floor
- First Floor
- Second Floor
Second World War Kitchen
The Second World War Kitchen is part of the remaining evidence of Kiplin Hall’s conversion into flats during the war. It still has the 1930s’ cast iron range and the ceramic sink. Samples of many layers of wallpaper were taken for possible identification during the restoration of the Hall. Please try not to touch the wallpaper or curtains in here, or in the bathroom next door, as they are all very fragile.
Kiplin Hall was requisitioned during the war and used by army units at first. In 1942 it was turned into flats for R.A.F. officers, with the men living in the stables and outbuildings. They flew from the airfield at Scorton, a village two miles to the north, and there were bomb and ammunition dumps in the woods near the Hall. Like most requisitioned houses, Kiplin was left almost derelict. Many houses were demolished in the 1950s and 1960s because families could not afford to restore them, or to pay the high death duties and land taxes of the period.
Sarah Turnor had made her cousin, Bridget Talbot, joint owner of Kiplin in 1938, and Miss Talbot tried for years to get compensation for the damage done during the war. Kiplin Hall is one of the very few houses which was subsequently neither demolished nor completely restored although, according to newspaper cuttings in the archives, it very narrowly escaped demolition several times in the 1950s and 1960s.