- Ground Floor
- First Floor
- Second Floor
This was called the Green Room in the 1887 inventory of the contents of Kiplin Hall. It was restored in 2002, with replica wallpaper of the 1890s designed by Giles Holland Day. According to the inventory, the Green Room had a ‘Four post Bedstead & chintz hangings’, but probably not this bed. It may be French and dates from the late 18th or early 19th century. To the left of the bed is a 17th century North Italian cabinet with ivory panels engraved with scenes from the Old Testament, standing on a mahogany blanket chest.
The unusual piece of furniture by the window is a late 18th century chamber horse or exercise horse, used when gentlemen were elderly or had gout and could no longer go riding. The perished leather makes it possible to see the large springs which enabled the rider to bounce up and down. The pristine condition of the original woven horsehair cover shows how seldom this home exercise object was used! The cover of the George III mahogany patent wheelchair nearby is so worn that the horsehair stuffing shows through.
The wardrobe by the window is another example of Arts & Crafts furniture designed by Beatrice Carpenter. She also painted the watercolour copy of Le Chapeau de Paille (the Straw Hat) by Rubens above the fireplace (original in the National Gallery, London).
The sketch to the left of the bed is of Admiral Carpenter’s sister, Gertrude Talbot. The lady to the right may be the eldest Talbot sister, Victoria Susan, who died of consumption when she was twenty-five. The fine embroidered screen in the corner was made by Margaret Talbot, wife of the Admiral’s brother Reginald, who was Governor of Victoria in Australia. The enamelled hip bath in front of the fire waits to be filled with hot water by a servant for a visiting lady or gentleman to bathe.