- Ground Floor
- First Floor
- Second Floor
Originally there was no partition separating this room from the one next door. In the 18th century they were divided into a dressing room and bedroom. The dressing room is now displayed as Admiral Carpenter’s study, with some of Kiplin’s naval and other prints. The illustration above the fireplace shows H.M.S. Ariadne, on which Walter Carpenter served as Captain in the early 1870s. The mahogany name plaque above the desk is probably from a gig or small boat, used to row between the ship and shore.
A photograph of Admiral Carpenter in the 1890s hangs to the left of the door into the Lady Waterford Room.
The most important picture in the room, to the left of the window, is the gouache and watercolour of Kiplin Hall in 1780 by George Cuit the elder. Cuit was born in nearby Moulton and studied in Rome before settling in Richmond. He spent nearly 40 years accurately recording the buildings and landscape of the local region. We are fortunate to have this record of what the Hall looked like before the Tyrconnels made changes to the towers and domes in the 1820s. There were no formal gardens near to the house and no courtyard or avenue of limes until the late 19th century, when Admiral Carpenter owned the Hall. Below are watercolours of Kiplin Hall in 1898 by Augustus Hare and Blickling Hall by a family member.